The more I learn about the nervous system, the more fascinated I become by the way it controls our thoughts, behaviors, and bodily functions.
I have been on a journey of regulating my nervous system from trauma and chronic illness for many years now. It wasn’t until my nervous system was on its way to regulation that I was able to lose weight and become physically healthier. Health starts mentally and works its way out. Let’s dive into the nervous system.
Reset Your Nervous System- The Why and How
The Nervous system is one of the most complex and essential systems in the body playing a crucial role in the communication of info between different parts of the body. It also coordinates our thoughts, emotions and behaviors, ultimately shaping our whole human experience.
Regulating our Nervous System is essential. When the nervous system is not regulated your whole body’s natural balance and ability to regulate itself is disrupted. This can cause a number of physical and phycological effects such as:
- Physical Symptoms- headaches, digestive problems, chronic pain and fatigue.
- Emotional Symptoms- anxiety, depression, irritability and mood swings.
- Sleep Disturbances
- Reduced ability to cope with stress
- Difficulty regulating emotions
Why are we unregulated?
Common are stress, trauma and chronic illness.
3 Actions You Can Take TODAY to Regulate Your Nervous System
- Awareness: Learning why you have the unregulated nervous system is key. Learning to identify these triggers and our habitual responses of fight/ flight/ freeze allow us to manage these reactions more effectively.
- Develop Coping Strategies: Such as practicing mindfulness, praying, alternative healing and medicine, supplements, time in nature, as well as morning and evening routines will support your nervous system in staying regulated for longer periods of time.
- Practice Patience and Self-Compassion: We have had a lifetime to create these habits, so it may take a bit to regulate your nervous system. Be patient as you go through your journey of healing. You are developing new ways of non-reaction and coming into a natural balance of mind, body and spirit.
Once you really start learning how your body works and listen to it these practices will be a no-brainer for you. Things started making a lot more sense when i was focused on my emotions, triggers and healing. I learned a lot about myself and who I truly am. It was tough at times but well worth it.
If you would like a list of supplements I used and still use to help my mental health and nervous system it HERE.
For more insight and tips into Over 40 Health follow me on Instagram.