This dish is one I discovered when I was participating in the 21 Day Fix and it has become a staple in our home. Over the last couple of years I have discovered a new way of preparing this amazing and yummy dish, so with that in mind I am sharing the new and improved recipe!
I found myself telling a friend about this easy recipe, so in true Mandi- style I had to share with y’all too! The number one phrase I hear amongst Mamas is that they have a hard time eating healthy or dieting with their kids. First off, STOP dieting and start eating healthy! Second, eating healthy is a lifestyle and a way of life and can be a lifestyle for the whole family, not just you! But, I do understand what it is like when your two-year-old looks at you as you serve them broccoli like you have twelve heads, even though they ate it the day before with no complaints. Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. With that being said…
This recipe is healthy, but your kids will never know it! I promise!
Healthy & Easy Turkey Taco Bake
Healthy and easy taco bake that is better for you and your healthy lifestyle!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 20 oz package 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 cups tomato sauce homemade or low sodium canned
- 1 cup chopped red or yellow or green pepper and Chopped onion & Jalapeno*
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 1 cup extra veggies (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray & set aside.
- Add Quinoa to 2 cups water in a medium saucepan & bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn heat to low & simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat & fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa & set aside.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add onion, garlic & jalapeño & sauté over medium-high heat for 1 minute if you are using these ingredients. Add the ground turkey, breaking it up as it browns. Cook for about 5 minutes & add the peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, or until meat if no longer pink.
- Add the juice of 1 lime, cumin, chili powder & cilantro. Stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove from heat & add the quinoa to the meat & veggie mixture. Pour in the tomato sauce & hot sauce if using & stir. Add 1/3 cup of shredded cheese.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 3 (blue) containers of Cheddar. Cover with foil & bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil & bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted & edges are bubbling. Remove from oven & let cool for 10 minutes.