I said that I would never make my own dishwasher detergent but, as I sit here, living and breathing, I LIED! Yep, I took the big plunge this past weekend and decided to make my own DIY dishwasher detergent, I make my own laundry detergent so, why not, right? I have tried other DIY recipes before, many years ago, but without much success and feeling pretty annoyed with the whole process. So shortly there after, I gave up.
Recently, I started adding up how much we spend on commercial detergents alone and the amount was just too much for me. I am not cheap by all means, but I definitely want to get the best for my dollar. I realized, that we weren’t getting the quality for the amount of money we were spending on store-bought detergent anyway so, why not try it again and find the right recipe this time. All the while, save some dough in the process.
So for the last few weeks, I have been experimenting and I have finally settled on a homemade detergent I LOVE! I run my dishwasher daily, some days twice a day and this recipe has not failed me yet.
Is It Totally Green & Natural?
Although all of the products in this recipe are not considered “green”, here’s the way I look at it:
- less packaging equals less chemicals
- when I make my own cleaning products I know every ingredient that goes into them
- savings is a huge plus
I personally feel the “green” revolution has its place but, I also know the “scare tactic” is there and can scare the crap out of anyone and everyone if you listen too carefully. So here is my advice, do what is best for your family. Use ingredients that you know are safe for your family. Example: One of my kids has asthma so, we try very hard to not use homemade cleaning products that have Borax in the recipe. Borax has been linked to respiratory problems. So there you have it, my advice for what it’s worth! 🙂
So, let’s get to the recipe at hand now…..
How I Made a Homemade Dishwashing Detergent That Actually Works!
Amazon Shopping List
- Baking Soda
- Super Washing Soda
- Epsom Salt
- Lemi Shine
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Large Glass Mixing Bowl
- Large Spoon
- Airtight Container
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup Washing Soda (You can also find this in Walmart by the clothes detergent)
- 1 cup epsom salt
- 1/3 cup Lemi Shine (You can also find this, normally, at your local grocery store or Walmart by the dishwasher detergent)
- 15-20 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. That’s it, easy peasy!
- The essential oil used is completely optional. I just wanted to kick up the lemon fresh scent a bit!
- Transfer into a pretty and airtight container.
How to Use in Your Dishwasher
- Using a scooper, add the powder to your dishwasher, fill the compartment completely.
- I also like to include a 1/2 cup of white vinegar in a dirty cup on the top rack, instead of the rinse compartment, for an added rinse agent, it helps with cloudy dishes. Vinegar is a natural cleaning agent and can be used for many cleaning needs. So be sure to add it to your homemade cleaners.
- For the dishes that may need an added boost, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of baking soda in the very bottom of your dishwasher, along with the DIY dishwasher powder. Works every time!
- I also love to use the citrus essential oils when making this recipe. It smells heavenly and cleans like the lemon just as well. This homemade version has amazing cleaning power, but I do like to change it up a bit. Store-bought products do have a place if you do not have time to make your own homemade dishwasher detergent and/or if you are in a bind. When I am in a bind I love using, Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Packs.
- I also take this natural homemade dishwasher detergent and sprinkle a bit in my kitchen sink after I have loaded all of my dirty dishes. I then grab my scrub brushes and start scrubbing. It leaves my sink sparkling.
- And speaking of scrub brushes, make sure you put your scrub brushes in the top rack of your dishwasher so they can get cleaned, deodorized and disinfected too.
- Make sure all food particles are off of your dishes. I know, I know! What a pain! But, do you know where all of that food goes? In your drain and after a while you will have to clean it out.
My Favorite Cleaning Recipes
- Of course this recipe right here, Homemade Dishwashing Detergent.
- Homemade Laundry Detergent
- Vinegar: Not a recipe, but a necessity to have in your cleaning kit, as I mentioned before. It is a great natural rinse aid in the dishwasher and even a great replacement for fabric softener in your washing machine when washing clothes…. to just name a couple. But, it does so much more!
- Baking Soda: Again, not a recipe, but works great in tubs and showers.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: This all purpose cleaner is great to use in the bathroom. But before you use it, make sure you read up on what surface you can and cannot use it on.
This easy recipe is a must at our house now. I hope you like it too! I am wishing I changed over to this new dishwasher soap years ago. I have wasted a lot of money over the years trying to find the right one. My pocketbook is finally happier, for sure! Have you tried this great recipe? What did you think?
- Post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on the affiliate links you are helping support my family and this blog. Thank you for clicking and buying through our links! You are truly a blessing!