To answer your question…. Because, they are delicious!
I have mentioned before, some days are better than others while trying to get my kiddos to eat vegetables. Some days it goes over well, some days not so well. So on the not so well days, I am a little sneaky! Some of you may feel sneaking veggies in recipes is not teaching them to eat the proper nutrition but, mama has to do what mama has to do some days.
So with that being said, almost every kid loves a muffin so I took this recipe from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfield and made it gluten-free and my own.
Note: Although these are healthy and packed with nutrients as adults, we may need to watch how many and how often we eat these. They do have a little more sugar in them than we need.
- Non-stick Organic Coconut oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup Gluten free Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Gluten Free Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk (I used Hemp Milk, we have allergies.)
- 1/2 puree Butternut Squash
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- Make the topping. Stirring in the butter last.
- Stir all of the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl stir all of the wet ingredients together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Do not over mix, the batter should be lumpy.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins. Sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake for 18- 20 minutes.
And there you have it! Enjoy!
If you have health and fitness goals you would like to reach please fill out the form below. We will support you every step of the way. Wouldn’t you like to reward yourself for reaching your goals? What will be your reward?
[contact-form to=’[email protected]’ subject=’Info on Health and Wellness from Blog Post’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Phone Number’ type=’url’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’text’/][/contact-form]