Let me start off by saying, I have been using this technique off and on for years but, not until the last year did I really realize what benefits this technique has honestly. I just liked the taste of it at the time. But, now that I know it has health benefits, well that is even better. So I wanted to share what I have learned, naturally as I always do!
Quite honestly, I almost didn’t share it because, it is so simple. But, I do feel everyone needs to know what health benefits you can get from something that is SO simple and easy!
Listen this is not a cure-all, just a few health benefits I found out about that I wanted to share with you. If you are looking for drastic weight-loss from lemon water…. Come on now, get real! Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but keeping it real here. Weight loss comes from a healthy lifestyle, not just a tweak here or there.
So let’s get started!
Drinking lemon water especially before breakfast has, oh so many, benefits. If you are trying to cut back on coffee or caffeine this may be something to look into. It will rev up your organs and give you a bit of a morning jolt. I am getting ahead of myself…. Keep reading!
When preparing, use only fresh lemons and never bottled lemon juice. You can squeeze half of the lemon in your glass of water and chug it down before eating your breakfast.
Here’s how my morning routine goes, you know just incase you care! 😉
- feet hit the floor
- walk into the kitchen
- grab my glass of water and lemon I sat out the night before
- squeeze the 1/2 lemon into the already prepared glass of water
- mix and drink (that’s it, easy peasy)
(All of this is prepped before even going to bed the night before.)
- Lemon water first thing in the morning can improve your mood and energize your body! The scent of lemon juice can immediately improve your mood in the morning, it has also been known to reduce depression and anxiety. You will feel energized when you drink water with lemon first thing in the morning, before eating breakfast. Lemons contain more negatively charged ions in comparison to most foods which contain positive charged ions. When you eat your breakfast, your digestive tract has already acquired negative charged ions and the positive charged ions in your food will surely create a reaction that will boost your energy. (Did I lose you? If I did, just trust me then, okay?)
2. Lemon water can help freshen your breathe! Crucial nugget of information here! Am I right? Lemons are known to be a neutral zone, so when consumed they coat the mouth and help eliminate bad breath. Lemons have even been known to help relieve toothaches.Take note: You should not brush your teeth right after you drink water with lemon, the citric acid in lemons can erode tooth enamel. It would be safe to say, wait for a bit (perhaps after eating your breakfast) before brushing your teeth.
3. Lemon water can help aid in weight loss! Yep you read right! Weight loss! Lemons have pectin fiber, which is responsible for suppressing cravings. Drinking lemon water before breakfast can help prevent you from eating more than you need, when it comes time for your yummy, yet nutrition packed breakfast.
4. Lemon water can help aid in digestion and give a gentle, yet well needed cleanse to your system daily. Drinking lemon water could effectively flush out toxins and unwanted substances from your body. It persuades the liver to produce bile, which is required for digestion. It also has an atomic composition that is similar to digestive juices and saliva. Citric acid in lemon aids in maximizing enzyme function, which is responsible for stimulating the liver and gaining effective detoxification that cleanses your body. (Yeah, so that was a lot of nastiness but, total truth!)
5. Lemon water can help boost the immune system and promote faster healing of the body! Lemons have high concentrations of Vitamin C, famous for fighting colds, healing wounds, and protecting the body from free radicals. This beneficial vitamin also has anti-inflammatory effects. It can promote clear skin and practically keep it blemish free.
6. Lemon water can help reduce inflammation! It is great for joints and pain, because it helps reduce inflammation in the body. Lemon water can also aid with respiratory tract infections, inflamed tonsils and sore throat due to the high anti-inflammatory properties of lemon.
7. Lemon water hydrates! I know you are thinking, “duh!” But, yes it does, even more than you think! Water with lemon is full of electrolytes, which provides your body with more calcium, magnesium and potassium. So it’s like drinking a Gatorade without the added preservatives, carbs and sugar. No brainer, right?
8. Lemon water has been known to lower blood pressure! A daily dose of lemon water, can aid in decreasing high blood pressure by 10%, and helps cleanse the blood, blood vessels and arteries.
Now you know the benefits, let’s talk preparation.
Okay so, before we get into the debate of lukewarm water, warm water or cold water. Let me just say, WHO CARES! I am sure a lot of people want to argue with me about it and I am cool with that BUT…. seriously, I look at it like this…. as long as you are consuming lemon water and you know the health benefits, I really don’t think it will matter if you “downed” it humming ” Zippity doo dah”. But, again some will argue with me about it and I am okay with it.
I personally drink it lukewarm, since I set it out the night before on my counter and it ends up that way the next morning!
Here’s how I mix it together:
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon in water. Disregard the seeds. Stir. Drink. (Hard, right?! ;-))
- Side Note: Keep the peels in a plastic bag in the freezer, pull out when you need lemon zest for a recipe. Or use one to clean the kitchen or bathroom sink. (That’s a whole other post in itself of things you can use a lemon peel for. Google it or look on Pinterest.)
- Side Note #2: Also, drink your lemon water with a straw if the acid starts hurting or making your teeth sensitive.
So what are you waiting for? You know the health benefits! You know what lemon can do for you! So go out and buy a bushel of lemons and pour you a glass of water, you will be none the wiser!
Please remember, lemon water is not a cure-all! Lemon has many health benefits as we discussed above but, please do not use it to cure any ailment without consulting a physician or specialist. Also don’t eat a box of Ho Hos, drink lemon water and expect weight loss. It just doesn’t happen like that! I wish it did, BUT NO! Just, NO!
I believe lemon water has helped me for many reasons and I hope it does the same for you! As always, shoot me an email or comment below with any questions or concerns!
Until next time…..
- Post may contain affiliate links.