I know everyone has been through ups and downs with their spouse. And guess what?! The ups and downs are okay! Marriage is not always puppies and rainbows! Christian marriages aren’t always love notes and roses! Marriage is hard work, it’s a job and it can be a fight to stay together somedays but, it is worth fighting for all the way when you stand on God’s word. You and I both could use 12 Bible Verses That Will Help Your Marriage Grow.
My marriage is not perfect, nor do I want it to be. A happy marriage is not ever perfect. When I first got married, I thought it was going to be easier, I have to admit. (At the beginning you can’t see past the wedding day.) I didn’t ever think that the one true love God gave me would annoy me so much. (Okay, I annoy him too!) But, you know what, I have learned to love the annoyances and the disagreements we have with each other. I know what you are thinking. YEAH right, Mandi! But seriously, I love them, because if he wasn’t annoying me he wouldn’t be here. 😉 And I would rather us be together than the alternative. Married life matters and is worth fighting and praying for.
Chris and I have been through a lot together, if it wasn’t for prayer, we wouldn’t still be standing side by side. Life throws us curve balls everyday, but, life doesn’t have to defeat us. We can go at it head on and conquer it together or let life defeat us, we have the choice.
God’s promises and the Holy Spirit have gotten us through so much! When we stopped trying to do it our own way and started to do it the Lord Almighty’ s way we started seeing marriage restoration.
Here are a few of our favorite Bible verses that we look back on from time-to-time when we feel we have a struggling marriage or everyday. With God’s help we can have a healthy marriage.
12 Bible Verses That Will Help Your Marriage Grow
- Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Prayer: Lord, we know that You have great plans for our lives – both individually and as a married couple. Guide us into Your will for our lives. Remind us on the difficult days that we have hope – that our hope lies in You alone. In Jesus Christ’ name. Amen.
- John 16:33: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Prayer: When troubles in life threaten to overwhelm us, Lord, help us to remember and take comfort in the fact that You have overcome the world. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Romans 12:2: Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Prayer: Do not allow us to be conformed to this world, Father, but help us to hold our marriage to Your standard. As we seek to renew our minds through time spent in Your Word and in prayer, show us Your will for our lives and marriage. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Prayer: Whatever we do in our lives and marriage, Lord, may we do it for You honor and glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Ephesians 4:2: Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Prayer: Father, we pray that we would treat one another with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Ephesians 4:29: Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Prayer: Guard our tongues, Father. Help us to speak the truth to one another in love – that no unwholesome words would come out of our mouths. May our speech be filled with grace and work to edify one another. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Ephesians 4:32: Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Prayer: Give us hearts of forgiveness, Lord. May we be kind to one another, forgiving one another just as You have forgiven us through Christ Jesus. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Philippians 3:14: I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Prayer: Father, we confess our tendencies to grumble against and argue with one another. Help us, by Your Spirit, to live peaceably with one another in order that we might be a witness to others. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Colossians 3:12-13: 12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Prayer: Help us to put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience; bearing with on another, and forgiving one another, just as You have forgiven us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- 1 Timothy 6: 7-8: 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Prayer: We have brought nothing into this world and cannot take anything out of it with us. Teach us to be content with whatever You have given us, Father. Do not let our possessions (whether plenty or lacking) be a cause of stress in our relationship. May we be ever grateful for each and every blessing You bestow and seek to be good stewards in all things. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Hebrews 10:24: And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, Prayer: Help us to spur one another on toward good deeds, God. May we ever challenge one another to grow in our love for one another, for others, and for You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- Hebrews 13:4: Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Prayer: Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled. God, protect our marriage and the intimacy that comes with this relationship. May we strive to keep it holy and pure. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Marriage matters. It really does matter! Fight for it. Honor it. Nourish it. And mend it, when needed. No one marriage is perfect, no one marriage will ever be perfect. But, one thing is for sure, God’s love is perfect and through Him all things are possible.
Don’t get me wrong: life is hard! But, I wouldn’t want to do this life with anyone else, quirks and all. He is probably reading this and got stuck at the “annoying” part in the first paragraph. I’m just kidding Chris, I just wrote it for the sake of the article, not that you really annoy me! You believe that, right?! 😉
When God brings two people together the marriage is worth fighting for, ALWAYS! If you don’t fight for each other, at least fight for God’s sake in the marriage relationship. He is always worth it! You are worth it! Your marriage was made in the image of God, so you ALL are worth it!
Save this post and reference back on these marriage Bible verses when you have a hard time and watch your Heavenly Father move on your behalf.
Here is more good news: There is no greater love than God’s love. Model your marriage after His perfect love and you can never go wrong.
To expand your reading be sure to read Song of Solomon, the best Bible verses for a good marriage.
Sign up for my 7 Day FREE Daily Devotional. Seven full days of God’s word that my husband, Chris and I created with you and your husband in mind. Grab it today to study more of God’s word and watch what He can do in your marriage.
More from this series: